>

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Ready for cold Burning Man nights, my Malu fake fur coat

For Burning Man I wanted to make a fake fur coat. I had the Malu pattern from Schnittchen on my mind, since it has no darts etc.
It was quite a big cutting/taping project, the pdf has about 60 pages, so quite a lot of work.. But so worth it! I cut a size 36 chest and then graded down to a size 34 at the hips. In hindsight a 36 all around would have worked perfectly, since there is just a hint of tightness around my hips..
I added pockets to the side seam using the same tutorial I used for my Minoru from Amy at Sew Well. I choose to line my jacket using a knit fabric, since I had enough of that one in my stash and I really like the print. This did give some strechting issues, but nothing a little creative cutting couldn't fix.
Yay, pockets!
I underlined the pieces that needed interfacing with a thin cotton muslin fabric, since I was afraid ironing would melt the fake fur.

To close my jacket I opted for toggles, which reminded me a bit of animal teeth :) For the loop part I sandwiched those in between the front facing and the outer fabric. The button part of the loop I actually just stitched onto my coat, sewing underneath the toggle bit, to hide it a bit..

I'm super happy with my coat! It is an amazingly soft fake fur fabric, which actually reminds me a bit of an owl :)
After Burning Man (which I might have already bored you with) me and my sister will be travelling for about 2 months :)  We'll be visiting Portland, Seattle and maybe Vancouver, before we fly to Mexico. I'll be volunteering there and afterwards we'll spend some time in Tulum. Then we'll go back to The States to visit Los Angeles and Las Vegas. 

If you have any tips or want to meet, please let me know! Either in the comments or just send me an email, would love to meet up with fellow sewists! You can follow me on Instagram for more frequent updates :) it's: @revesmecanique


Have you ever sewn fake fur? Do you think this coat would be wearable in the real world? I'd love to wear it in the winter, but I'm not sure if everyone else might think I'm crazy.. My boyfriend did look at me weird when I mentioned it..



27 comments:

  1. I'm planning a faux fur coat for this year, too, actually, although I'm realizing I'm a bit heavy on coats at the moment and already have fabric for two more, oops! But you should totally wear this out and about- it's really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow this looks so cozy & warm! I love that fabric, and lining with knit fabric must make it so nice & soft inside too. I get the owl thing but definitely still think you could wear this post-burning man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely nothing about that coat is unwearable post burning man, as far asi am concerned. It is freaking fabulous.

    Wish your travels would include nashville :( we are a liiittle too far east, though haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Already looking forward to your version! Do you already have a pattern in mind?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kathryn! It is super soft indeed, although the knit lining makes taking of the sleeves a bit harder sometimes when I'm wearing a sweater..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay thanks Lauren! I've decided I'll wear it after BM too, too comfy not to :) would love to visit Nashville aswell, hopefully a next time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome coat!! I went to Seattle earlier this year to help out with a friend's art exhibition - I've blogged about it here: http://laurasaurus.net/tag/seattle/
    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, are you kidding? This is the PERFECT cold weather coat!! Please continue wearing this post-burning man!! Looks so cozy and furry fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure yet, but was thinking of doing the Republique du Chiffon Gerard? Like you, I want to keep the lines simple since the fur will make darts pretty much impossible!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a fun coat! looks like it be a perfect style for Burning Man! have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great coat, you should totally wear that in the real word. Who cares what anyone else things - your boyfriends just might not walk beside you, hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Laura! I'm going to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Sallie! I'm already convinced :) it is super cozy indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha I think he'll rethink it after all these positive comments! Thanks Sandra!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is awesome and you are killing me with your Burning Man posts! I wish so much I could go! :'(

    ReplyDelete
  16. Portland, Seattle and Vancouver are exactly the cities me and my boyfriend would like to visit in spring! Let me know how it was!

    ReplyDelete
  17. please wear it again after burning man, it's such a fabulous coat! Have fun on your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is awesome!!! I love that it looks like Hedwig - so soft and warm! The lining fabric is fun too! I would definitely rock this coat in the winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic coat, I'm in love !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks! And you were quite close as well.. Your travels already look super exciting though!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooh that sounds like an awesome plan! I'll let you know how it was!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Inge! My bf took it home so it is already safe in Rotterdam :) ready for winter!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks! It is super soft and fluffy indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi there! This looks great! I'm working on a malu coat now. Though I'm having a lot of trouble printing the pattern. I'm in the US and am trying to print it on A4 printer, but it either cuts off the bottom of the pattern, or the test square is ever so slightly too big (10.2x10.3cm vs 10x10cm). Did you have any problems printing it? Was your test square exactly 10x10cm?


    Thanks!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey Carla! Oh that sucks! I didn't have trouble printing it, and if I remember correctly my tests square was 10.0 x 10.0, but I was a little bit tired/stressing when I printed it so I might have overlooked the 0.2 or 0.3 cm.. I'm in Mexico now, otherwise I would have measured it for you! Sorry I can't be of more help..

    ReplyDelete